Used to do art, somehow my canvas turned into cakes... Still learning, and slowly developing so maybe one day it will be more than a hobby...

This blogg is here for me to share my hard earned knowledge about making and decorating cakes, cupcakes, cookies and cakepops. I am self taught, so I have therefore learnt the hard way. Hopefully you won't have as hard of a time. Good luck, and Enjoy! J.

fredag 8 mars 2013

Lemon Glaze Cake.

I got this recipe from the Hummingbird bakery cookbook, though I did adjust it slightly as the original recipe required poppy seeds that I did not have at home. And either way I feel they only get stuck in my teeth!

We were going over to our neighbors house. My neighbors also happen to be my brother and his wife. We were going to bring a dessert. SO. Having quite a few lemons that needed using I set to making this wonderful cake. It is perfectly fluffy and moist and sweet and tart at the same time! 

Ingredients
85g unsalted butter
245g caster sugar
grated zest of 1 1/2 lemons
165ml whole milk
235g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
3 egg whites
Lemon Syrup
juice and zest of 1 lemon
50g caster sugar
100 ml water
Lemon Glaze
Juice of 1 lemon
250g icing sugar

  1. Preheat your oven to 170c
  2. Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
  3. Slowly add the milk and beat well (don’t worry if it looks slightly split at this stage).
  4. In a separate bowl sieve the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 3 stages, beating well after each addition.
  5. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until they form stiff peaks.
  6. Fold this gently into the cake mixture.  DO NOT overmix!
  7. Pour into mould (that has been buttered and floured) and bake for 30 - 35 mins until golden and the sponge bounces back when gently pressed.
  8. While the cake is baking, make the lemon syrup by adding the sugar, lemon zest, juice and water in a saucepan and gently boil it until it has reduced by half and it's a thin syrup.
  9. When the cake is cooked remove from the oven and spoon over the syrup while it is still in the tin and still hot.  
  10. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes.
  11. Turn out onto a wire rack.
  12. Make the icing whilst the cake is cooling by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice together until smooth and glossy. You want it to be thick but still runnable.
  13. Once the cake has cooled, spoon over the glaze and let it run down the sides of the cake.

Enjoy.
-J.

1 kommentar: